Saturday, February 15, 2014

The NFL, The Blind Side and God's Mercy to Me

I really like the movie The Blind Side. It is the story of a high school age boy that has no family. Through different circumstances he gets to attend a private school, becomes a part of a family, plays football, and eventually goes to college and then plays in the NFL. This is the true story of Michael Oher. The movie is incredible. One of my favorite lines in the movie is when Leigh Ann Tuohy, played by Sandra Bullock is encouraging Michael, as the left tackle, to protect the quarterback. 

Leigh Anne: "This team is your family Michael. When you look at him(the quarterback) you think of me, how you have my back. Are you going to protect your family Michael?"

Michael Oher: "Yes ma'am."

At the beginning of the movie you hear an explanation of the position that Michael plays : "The left tackle's job is to protect the quarterback from what he can't see coming. To protect his blind side." A left tackle has to train to be strong, to be wise, to know when to go forward and when to pull back in order to protect the quarterback. He must understand when to tackle the opponent and when to stand guard and be watchful. It is long and hard work that takes daily discipline to be successful. It is rarely recognized by football fans.

There have been times that I have wondered about my life. While growing up in a family of eleven and mostly going unnoticed I wondered, "Is this all there is to my life?" In college and in the early years of our marriage I wondered again, "Is this what my life will be like?" As I became a young mother of two in diapers I was pretty sure that my life was all about feeding, changing diapers, and doing that all over again day after day. As my two older children grew I have had many jobs outside of our home, some paid, most not. Still there were times when the question came back, "God, Is this what my life is supposed to be about?" Please don't misunderstand, I love my husband and I love my children, more than words could ever express. I have given my life to loving and serving them and hopefully a few other people throughout my years. I just have wondered if my life so far has really made a difference.


Several weeks ago I was asked by a friend, "What exactly is it that you do?" To be honest I was stunned. I was completely at a loss for words. I said nothing, but that question has haunted me. What is it that I do? What is my life about? Though I have talked to my husband about this, and he has been very encouraging, still I couldn't find the answers that I felt that I needed. This week in the midst of having the flu I had one of those moments when I felt as if God smacked me on the back of the head and spoke in that still small voice, "Kat, do you still not get it?" Being sick had nothing to do with this revelation, but being quiet and still had everything to do with getting the answer that I have been seeking for years. "What is my God-ordained job? Why did He put me here? What is it that I do?"


Are you curious? Have you figured it out?


My job, my purpose is to be a left tackle. A left tackle for my family, for my friends, for my church family. I am to protect the people around me. To see what is coming. To recognize when danger is coming. To protect the "blind side."


Many years of spiritual gift assessments have helped me to understand the gift that God has given me to see things that may or may not be seen by others. I have never thought much about the reason that God would give me this ability.


My husband, Gene is a pastor. If there is anyone who needs a left tackle, it is a pastor. God has called me to be the "left tackle" for this "chosen man of God." That just gets me excited. Gene needs me. I protect his blind side.


My son, my daughter-in-law, my daughters, my grandchild, my friends and church family all need a left tackle in their lives and I want to be the one that God entrusts with that calling. I may not be the smartest or strongest, or most eloquent player on the field, but I am in the game. I need to be training hard to recognize the difference between the temporary and the eternal, to be so trained in God's ways that I will see when danger is ahead.


I have a more clear understanding of what I am to be doing now. I know that I will not be able to protect from every painful, dangerous, or devastating thing that comes but I am going to give all that I have to fulfill the calling that God has graciously placed on my life.


"Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart." 2 Corinthians 4: 1

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4: 18

No comments:

Post a Comment