Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Painting and Priorities


I am in the process of painting the walls of our house. I have thought about it and decided that after living here for 11 1/2 years, it is probably about time. I have known for some time, ok, several years, that my house needed painting. But knowing and doing something about it have been two entirely different things. As I am working on this little project, of which I am sure might take forever, I have discovered a few things. 
There are many things in my life that I know desperately need attention. There are people that I know God has put in my life for me to help, guide, teach, and love. But the truth is that I am so busy doing other things that I sometime put those people on the back burner of my mind. I know and even have the greatest intention to get to those people. Like my unpainted walls, I see every day as a reminder, I walk right past them. 
In my personal Bible study time, I am looking, studying, and meditating on the book of James. As always happens when I take the time to listen, the Holy Spirit is grabbing me by my soul and saying, "Kat, This is for you! Listen!'


James 1:22-25


"Do not merely listen listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently h His into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it- not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it- they will be blessed in what they do."


So it is time for me to stop walking by the calling that God has on my life through His Word, but to look intently, to scrutinize, to let it burn into me so deeply that I am joyfully expecting my next opportunity to serve.


And while I am waiting, I'll get those walls painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment