Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Great Wall

Gene, Noelle and I went out with some friends tonight. We had a very nice dinner. We had time to talk and "catch up"  It had been awhile since we had time to chat so we took our time enjoying being together. But then it happened. We finished our meals and the server ask if we wanted dessert. Because we were celebrating Gene's birthday, he was brought out a small dessert.
Typically, when we go out to eat no one has room for dessert. More times than not most of my meal comes home in a box for whoever happens to get it the next day for lunch. Tonight was the exception for me. We were at a restaurant where they put together an insane combination of chocolate, raspberry sauce and fresh berries. I confess I cannot resist. I warned Gene before we left our house that I would be ordering dessert, but I am not sure that he knew the extent of my daydreaming about it.
So as our friends were politely refusing the variety of confections offered, our server started to leave the table. A moment of sheer panic crossed my brain before I gathered myself enough to call out, "Wait! I will be having dessert! Yes, I will! And no. I do not want any of these miniature excuses for a diabetic bad dream. I want the sugar NIGHTMARE! That's right I want 'The Great Wall of Chocolate!"
Our sweet friends who had never seen this dessert smiled at my insistence but then went right back to talking.  Soon the server returned with a plate that had 6 forks on it. Odd that there were only five people at our table. But even still our friends made no comment. The moment that my dessert was placed on the table the need for all those forks became evident. This dessert is big, no huge! There are six thick layers of dark chocolate cake with a milk chocolate icing, drizzled with a pureed raspberry sauce and served with fresh blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries.
Now I had their attention. I noticed that there were several people "eying" my dessert from other tables. It was a glorious moment as I reached my fork over, shoveled a bite almost as big as Gene's entire dessert and ever so daintily shoved it in my mouth. Oh my! I then encouraged everyone at the table to get a fork and join in.
We all have the opportunity to dive deep into the Word of God. We can find joy and delight in the most filling and satisfying "meal" ever. As we learn to appreciate and love the Bible, we find that we are not satisfied with just filling ourselves, but want to share our delight with others. I am hoping and praying that many will "pick up their forks" and find joy and satisfaction in God's Word. 


Blessed is the man
Who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
Or stand in the way of sinners
Or sit in the seat of mockers
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And on his law he meditates day and night.
Psalm 1: 1-2


Now, I wonder if it's too late for one more bite of that cake?

2 comments:

  1. I can picture all of this happening even without being there! Your word pictures are beautiful. May we all learn to "dive in" to His Word the same way you dove into the delicious dessert! Love you, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, You can visualize it because you have seen it. :-)

      Delete