Thursday, July 24, 2014

Strength Training: 1 John 2:3



Strength Training Verse


1 John 2:3


" And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments."


This is one of those days that we all experience at one time or another. I feel as if I have nothing to offer. No words of encouragement or great insight to give. But even as I write these words I realize that this is the best place to be when looking deeply into God's word.


Thinking about 1 John 2:3 reminds me that our assurance that we belong to God flows from evidence of growing obedience. But while studying the verse a seemingly unrelated command came to my mind. "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18.


We call these our Strength Training verses for a good reason. It's not because we are already strong on our own, but because we can only develop spiritual strength through internalizing God's word. It's when we acknowledge our weakness that we are in a position to receive God's strength. As Paul reported in 1 Corinthians 12: 9-10:


"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."


So in the spirit of these passages, I offer this prayer.


"Dear Almighty God, Maker of heaven and earth, Maker of every person, You know every detail of our lives. You know our weaknesses, our pain, our grief, and our joy. You have designed us for abundant life filled with praise and worship to you. Father, we long to know you more and to be a people who keeps your commands, but we also know that our hearts are prone to wander. I pray for myself and for each person reading that we will be careful to study your Word so that we will hunger to obey your commands. Give us a passion for You so that not only will we know that we belong to You, but that the world will know that we are your people. In Jesus' name and for His glory. Amen"

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kat. You're a blessing to me. I love those verses. Yes, He'll keep us going, won't He.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement it is always a great blessing to my soul.

      Delete
  2. Kat,
    This so reminded me of the book, "The Hiding Place". This passage from the booked completely rocked me as it reminded of the most wonderful truth-We ALL come to Him empty handed!

    "My dear sister-in-law," Father began gently, "there is a joyous journey which each of God's children sooner or later sets out on. And, Jans, some must go to their Father empty-handed, but you will run to Him with hands full!"
    "All your clubs ... ," Tante Anna ventured.
    "Your writings ... ," Mama added.
    "The funds you've raised ... ," said Betsie.
    "Your talks ... ," I began.
    But our well meant words were useless. In front of us the proud face crumpled; Tante Jans put her hands over her eyes and began to cry. "Empty, empty!" she choked at last through her tears. "How can we bring anything to God? What does He care for our little tricks and trinkets?"
    And then as we listened in disbelief she lowered her hands and, with tears still coursing down her face, whispered,"Dear Jesus, I thank You that we must come with empty hands. I thank You that You have done all all on the cross, and that all we need in life or death is to be sure of this."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is beautiful, Leslie. Thank you for sending it.

      Delete