Friday, December 23, 2016

5 Things I Love About Christmas


Part 3: Getting Mail





I know this one may seem silly and old fashioned, but I love getting mail. And this time of year we always get some Christmas cards in the mail. It is always fun to go to the mailbox and find a Christmas card or two when I open the box. Sometimes they are a simple greeting, sometimes an elaborate gold or glittered card. Sometimes they come with a letter and sometimes a personal message. The best thing about the cards is the ones that have a hand-written message.

It is easy to miss how important our handwriting really is. We live in a world that is so digital; we rarely see hand-written notes, letters or cards. Christmas is the exception.

I came to realize the importance of a persons’ hand writing two and a half years ago when my Mom died. I have always loved my Mom’s handwriting and I can still see her long, thin, piano-playing fingers as she wrote. The day after the funeral my sisters gave me a Christmas present that my Mom had forgotten to send. It had, “To Kat, From Mom and Dad,” written in her hand-writing on the tag. In that moment I realized it was the last time I would get anything with her hand writing. Since then my Dad has sent me a couple of recipes that my Mom had written out. They are both framed and on the wall in my kitchen.

Hand writing is still important. It is uniquely yours. It will be a testament of your place on earth. So, don’t forget to sign your Christmas cards and maybe send a few handwritten letters or cards this coming year. It could mean more than you realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment