Friday, December 23, 2016

Five Things I Love About Christmas




Part 4: Giving and Getting Gifts



Christmas is a time of giving. Most people rich, poor or somewhere in between give and receive gifts at Christmas.

When it is time to start shopping for gifts for Christmas I like to try to find something meaningful for my family members. We, like many families have our lists. But I try to find at least one thing to give them that says, “I know you. I’ve thought about you. I love you.” Sometimes the gifts are small, like the yearly ornament, sometimes they are big, like the ridiculous ski hat that was way too expensive for a hat, but Will wanted it so badly. Or the insane number of Barbie dolls that Hannah wanted when she was little.

Now the gifts are usually clothes and books but each thing bought with that person in mind. I love seeing theirs smiles when they open something that they really like because it is personal to them.

I also like getting gifts that clearly say: “I know you, Kat.” “I thought of you when I saw this.” “This is for you, Mom, because I love you.”

Giving and receiving gifts are an expression of love that says the receiver is known and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment